Tuesday, April 22, 2008

NOSTALGIA !

What comes to ur mind when u hear this word? school? College? Hostel? Hometown?...friends? ……I guess these are the most common answers anyone can come up with …..

the breeze in ur hometown, the road side “baddis” (small shops) on our way to school, the assembly halls of our school, the playground, mess halls and dormitories of the hostel, yearly celebrations of the college, group studies in the corridors of the hostel,….the list goes on …..there are so many things that come to my mind when I go back in time…..and all of them so lovely and fun filled, life was so “worry free” back then …….

Having spent my childhood in two different cities, I have very close ties to both Hyderabad and vizag, I guess I can say I have two home-towns! ……and every time I go to hyd or vizag, I have butterflies in my stomach ( usually that happens only when you are tensed, but trust me, this one happens only bcoz of sheer excitement, one of those kiddish kinds ) ……I feel so happy to see the same old railway station /airport and the same roads now transformed into two lanes or four lanes ….I do miss the old baddis, that were so much a part of my childhood picture of the town, most of them are probably gone now, and have been replaced by much bigger departmental stores……I don’t necessarily have to visit the city, the moment I see any of the locations in films, I am jumping with excitement “hey, this is the same old chaat place…blah blah blah ” …..I guess that’s how ur ties to ur origins are ……u just cant let them go…..

My school…..my teachers….every time I visit that part of the town, it drags me 15 yrs back in life …….the every day morning assembly, singing vandemataram, the pledge, waiting for the recess and lunch breaks, the games hour, rushing back home and telling mom every bit of what happened through out the day at school, those tiffs with kids from neighbouring schools, waiting for the annual school days, those unending chats about crackers for diwali….sigh !!! all those days are gone …..but yes they have left us with such wonderful memories ……thanks to orkut, I got to connect with some of my old school frenz and see pictures of my school …..

For me, my hostel is more than just a place where I stayed, it’s the place where I learnt a lot of things about life, and which are a part of me today, its my home away from home…..thanks to the hostel, I have a bunch of great frenz today……I remember when I went back to the college an year after my graduation to collect my TC, the moment I entered the campus, it was such a wonderful feeling as if I was going back home….the huge classrooms, the labs, the hostel steps where all of us would spend the evening, the college bus …….I dint realize that I would miss these things so much until I went back a second time…..I dint realize how attached I was to the place until I saw someone else sitting in the same classrooms where we used to sit, someone else staying the same room where I used to stay……..to be frank, I felt bad…..as if it was my own…well, I spent 4 years of my life there I guess its justified !!!.....

Well…..it always feels great to talk about things like these, but at the same time u will feel a li’l sad that all those days are gone …..I guess it leaves and sweet bitter feeling with everyone …...doesn’t it ? and yes that’s NOSTALGIA !

4 comments:

Sandeep said...

As a day scholar I surely did miss all the hostel life but I can still smell the masala dosa and sambar vada when I think of my college cafeteria where I spent a good half of those 4 years.

Rachna said...

hey ammu,
Its nice to see your blogs here. you r right school, college and the time we spent there are the best and most cherished ones in life.
Cheers,
Rachna

Krishna said...

Having spent those sort of times with you...I definitely miss you and the time we spent together ;-)

Neelu said...

Yeah hostel life is something I can never forget either. I just would not have been the same person without all those wonderful experiences!